The material below summarizes the information in the Powerpoint presentation that was given at the Thanksgiving.
A recording of the whole service is available here.
The very first issue of Evangelical Times was sent out in February 1967:
This first issue had been the result of a huge amount of preparatory work and research.
‘We had addresses, pastors, membership and attendance details for over 5000 churches, chapels and missions…’
Prior to the production of the first issue a flyer had been sent to many churches and individuals encouraging support for this project as an outworking of biblical principles.
This is the original flyer:
Its original vision was to encourage the fulfillment of those biblical instructions and apostolic example of informed prayer for other believers and churches:
Eph 6:21 But that you also may know my affairs and how I am doing, Tychicus, a beloved brother and faithful minister in the Lord, will make all things known to you;
Phil 2:19 But I trust in the Lord Jesus to send Timothy to you shortly, that I also may be encouraged when I know your state.
- News – Spreading news between churches – can we pray intelligently for one another?
- A Voice – To promote evangelical unity – not part of the wider ecumenical movement.
- An encouragement –good evangelical reading- strengthen those faithful to scripture – spiritual nourishment – at a level all can enjoy.
- To stand against worldliness and doctrinal decline.
- Mission – encourage support for missionary endeavour.
There is real encouragement with this work of ET online. The email newsletter circulation has continued to increase and reaches out into all kinds of different countries.
- All those who have worked so hard over these 50 years to make ET such a valued resource for evangelical Christians.
- Churches & readers, church agents, Christian book publishers and advertisers.
- Contributors, writers and their supporters.
- Board members – the hidden labourers behind the scenes.
- Our current team of writers, editors and office staff.