A forgotten Latin and Hebrew Old Testament, published in 1546 in Basel, Switzerland, has been identified by staff at the University of Glasgow Archives and Special Collections, as the property of Scottish reformer John Knox.
The library of the Christian reformer had been broken up and ‘lost to view’, news reports claimed, with only a handful of books being definitively traceable to him.
The reports claimed the volume had been bequeathed to the University of Glasgow in 1874, on the death of insurance broker and Bible collector William Ewing, as part of a collection of approximately 3,000 Bibles.
There had been various owners of the old tome, with many inscriptions and signatures within the cover, but on the title page there was an inscription ‘Jo. Knok[e]s 1561’.