New pastor at Rhuddlan
Gosen chapel at Rhuddlan was full to witness the induction of Steve McLean to the pastorate at Rhuddlan Evangelical Church.
There were a good number of evangelical churches from North Wales represented, including Abergele, Flint, Deeside, Borras Park, Caergwrle, Coedpoeth, Bradley Road, Llangollen, Llandudno, Criccieth and Welshpool.
Pastor Joe Nicholson gave a warm commendation on behalf of the sending church at Abergele. Stuart Olyott gave the charge and preached clearly and memorably from John 21.
He began by referring to one man, John Elias, who, under God, changed the face of Wales. Some years before Gosen chapel was built in 1835 as the first Congregational chapel in the district, John Elias came to Rhuddlan.
He preached the gospel in the open air with such effect that a single sermon put a stop for ever to the vicious fairs that would be held there on the Lord’s Day.
A gospel witness began again in Gosen in 1985 as a pioneer Evangelical church with less than a handful of people. It has been a work of faith from the beginning.
The chapel has been renovated and extended over the years and the former pastor, Philip Collinson, spoke at the induction of God’s good hand upon the people, leading them and keeping them pressing on in the work of the gospel during the past 25 years.
The church is looking forward to the beginning of a new chapter as Pastor Steve McLean begins his ministry. He and his wife Marcia have three little girls. The church is most grateful to the Lord for his providential dealings with them.
They are looking forward, under the blessing of God, to seeing the people of God being built up and the kingdom of God extended, with the gospel of the person and work of Christ being at the heart of all that they do.