Subscribe now

News

More in this category:

News – 200th anniversary at Penknap

November 2010 | by Guy Davies

200th anniversary at Penknap

 

In April 1810, George Phillips preached at an open air meeting on Acts 16:14. He drew his listeners’ attention to Lydia, whose heart the Lord opened to heed the message spoken by the apostle Paul.

     Many in the al fresco congregation were known to Mr Phillips, but the outdoor surroundings were something of a novelty. He was no longer welcome in the pulpit of Westbury Leigh Baptist Church of which he had been the minister until he was converted under the preaching of Charles Wesley. He was suspected by some of his congregation of having Arminian leanings.

     Not wishing to be a cause of strife among the people, the preacher resigned his charge, which is why he found himself addressing an open air gathering one Sunday in April two centuries ago.

     This was to be the first of a series of outdoor meetings that led to the founding of Penknap Providence Church, Dilton Marsh, in Wiltshire. By October 1810, a place of worship had been erected on Penknap field. The church was called ‘Providence’ as the open air meetings held prior to the building of the chapel were not once hindered by rain.

    

Same gospel

 

The newly founded congregation consisted of only 30 members. By the end of Mr Phillips’ 20 year ministry, more than 200 people had been baptised and added to the church, and the work was established as a Particular Baptist church holding to the decidedly Calvinistic Second London Baptist Confession of 1689.

     So it was that, 200 years later, nearly 100 people gathered at the chapel on Saturday 4 September to praise God for blessings past, and to look forward to his future blessing upon the work.

     Geoff Thomas of Aberystwyth preached an encouraging message on Romans 15:13. We were pleased to welcome friends from neighbouring fellowships and local dignitaries, including the Mayor of Westbury and Andrew Murrison MP. A special booklet detailing the history of the church was made available.

     Compared with the large congregations of old, a relatively small number of believers now meet at the chapel each Sunday to worship God. But we still hold to the faith of our fathers, and efforts are made to reach out to the community with the gospel.

     Please pray for a fresh outpouring of the Spirit upon the work, so that we may see the Lord opening the hearts of many to give attention to his saving Word in these days. Much has changed since the founding of our church, but Scripture assures us that ‘Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and for ever’ (Hebrews 13:8).

Guy Davies

 

Tags:
News