Please enable javascript in your browser to view this site!

Subscribe now


More in this category:

Society – Church schools vs. belief

November 2017

Most British millennials have no faith or religion, a wide-ranging study has claimed. The British Social Attitudes Survey, published in September, revealed 71 per cent of all 18-24 year olds polled said they belonged to ‘no religion’.

In the study, 53 per cent claimed they were not religious. Of the remaining 47 per cent, 15 per cent cited the Church of England, 9 per cent Catholic and 17 per cent said they belonged to other Christian denominations. The remainder said they belonged to other religions.

The figures were welcomed by the chief executive of Humanists UK, Andrew Copson, who said it showed a big disconnect between the large numbers of young people saying they were not religious, and the 20 per cent of state schools belonging to the Church of England.

He commented, ‘How can the Church of England remain in any meaningful sense the national legally established church, when it caters for such a small portion of the population?’.

Leave a Reply