Professor John Murray
When the Headmaster of Dornoch Academy, Mr John Garvie, was asked recently to nominate the most distinguished pupil of Dornoch Academy he had no hesitation in naming the late Rev. Professor John Murray.
The present academy in Dornoch, Sutherland, was opened in 1911 and John Murray enrolled in the school the following year. During his final year there staff shortages meant that he had to act as a part-time tutor.
On 16 June 2008 the Rev. John J. Murray, also a former pupil of the academy, gave a lecture on ‘John Murray and the godly life’ under the auspices of the Northern Reformed Fellowship (NRF). The address is available on CD and is due to be published in booklet form by the NRF.
The NRF’s secretary is Mr W. J. Urquhart, Mere, Woodlands Way, Golspie, Sutherland KW10 6TU. The picture shows the office-bearers of the fellowship with Mr Garvie (right) in the assembly hall examining the entry for John Murray in the school register.